Don’t Let Your Home Fall Apart This Season! Use This Checklist.
Our checklist will help you knock out key indoor and outdoor maintenance tasks so you can avoid issues when cold weather hits.
The crisp air and changing leaves signal that fall has arrived. While you take out your cozy sweaters and plan weekend apple picking, don’t forget about essential home maintenance tasks. Fall is the perfect time to get your house ready for cooler weather and the busy holiday season ahead.
Tackle these indoor and outdoor jobs around the home this autumn so you can avoid costly repairs and safety hazards once winter hits. We’ve outlined key tasks and tips to make your fall home maintenance a breeze.
Outdoor Fall Home Maintenance
As temperatures drop, prioritize these outdoor areas:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts – Clogged gutters can lead to water damage. Use a ladder to remove leaves and debris. Flush the system with water and make sure downspouts direct water away from the foundation.
- Trim Trees and Shrubs -Trim back any tree limbs or shrubs near the house that have overgrown. This prevents damage during snow or storms.
- Plant Spring Bulbs – October is the perfect time to plant tulips, daffodils, and other spring blooms. They’ll sprout up as soon as the soil thaws.
- Fertilize Lawn – Cool-weather grass fertilizers fortify lawns before winter dormancy. Choose formulations with slow-release nitrogen.
- Store Outdoor Furniture – Place deck/patio furniture cushions in a shed or garage so they’re not exposed to the elements. Cover metal furniture to prevent rusting.
- Prep Gardens and Flowerbeds – Remove weeds and spent annuals from gardens. Cut back perennials. Spread compost and mulch to nourish soil.
- Check for Rodent/Insect Damage – Fill any holes along the foundation with steel wool and caulk to block mice from entering. Remove insect nests attached to the house.
- Have HVAC System Serviced – Schedule a tune-up so your heating system runs efficiently when temperatures drop. Replace filters and clear debris from outdoor units.
Indoor Fall Home Maintenance
While you’re outside prepping your home, take time to tackle these indoor maintenance jobs too:
- Deep Clean Floors – Give carpets, area rugs, tile and wood floors a deep clean before company visits for the holidays.
- Wash Walls and Baseboards – Soap scum, dirt and smudges build up on walls over time. Use a sponge with all-purpose cleaner to wipe them down.
- Inspect Fireplace and Chimney – Ensure the damper, flue and chimney cap are working properly before lighting the first fire of the season.
- Service Furnace – Replace the filter and have a technician inspect the furnace to ensure safe operation.
- Test Smoke and CO Detectors – Replace batteries in all smoke detectors. Push test buttons to confirm alarms are functioning.
- Check for Leaks – Scan ceilings, under sinks and near windows for any signs of water damage or leaks. Repair immediately to prevent mold growth.
- Purge Clutter – Donate unused clothes and household items before the holidays. Organize closets, kitchen cabinets and the garage.
- Clean Windows and Screens – Let the sun shine in by washing interior and exterior windows and window screens before winter sets in.
One final tip – don’t go it alone! If your home maintenance list feels overwhelming, call the experts at J & D Handyman at 540-270-5564 or visit https://janddhandyman.com for assistance. Their professional technicians have the tools and experience to help with any home repair or renovation project.
Stay on top of your home maintenance and enjoy a stress-free fall and winter season. A few weekend days dedicated to upkeep now will pay off all season long.
Learn More About The Advantages Of Hiring J and D Handyman
Leave a Replay
About J and D Handyman
We Know How It Feels When Stuff Breaks. We Provide Handyman Services In
Warrenton VA. We’ll Get There Quick To Solve Your Issue.